Thursday, January 27, 2011

der Titel

German is a useful and entertaining language.

Take “schadenfreude.” It’s German for “pleasure in the misfortune of others.” Being full of schadenfreude may not be an attractive trait, but who hasn’t experienced that? I’m sure it’s a pretty common human experience. It’s a useful word. Also, it’s a surprisingly pleasant sounding word for being Germanic. What’s really important, though, is that there is no English word equivalent to “schadenfreude.”

Schadenfreude” needs to find it’s way into everyday English usage. It has found it’s way to some extent, but not as much as it should. I keep thinking of it as overly used and trendy word--which does seem inevitable--but I swear I have to keep explaining it. Sometimes more than once.

Come on, people! Lisa Simpson explained it to Homer almost a decade ago! If that isn’t a free ride into the layperson’s lexicon, what is?

There’s a couple of German words I love because they’re funny and sound like an old Vaudevillian speaking fake German. “Puppenspiel” means “puppetry,” or literally “doll play.” “Pulverkaffee” is German for “instant coffee.” Honestly, if you asked someone what German for puppetry is, would you take “puppenspiel” seriously? If I could work it into everyday conversation, though, I would.

Anyway, I have a new favorite German word: “backpfeifengesicht.” It’s probably my new favorite word period. It means “a face that needs punched.” How great is that? And how useful!? I’m probably extra excited by this word because there’s a certain someone I’ve been dealing with lately that really needs her fiefing face punched. Who doesn’t have one or more people like that in their lives?

It’s a little hard to learn to pronounce, but I did find a nice pronunciation guide. (I especially like the male German’s voice.) One drawback to the word someone pointed out to me is that it kind of sounds like one is saying “butt fucking dyke” when saying “backpfeifengesicht.” That’s a small price to pay. Plus, it does make it a little easier to remember.

I originally learned “backpfeifengesicht” from this article at Cracked.com. Cracked.com is one of my favorite sites. I read it way too much, and I suggest you do, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment